LS1 - Part 7: Heads Removal

Below is a pic of the heads and the bolts I had to take off to get the head off of the engine. The top bolts (circled in red) were 10mm bolts and the middle bolts (in green) were 15mm bolts. The things the red arrows are pointing at are spark plugs.

Before I started removing the bolts, I took the spark plugs off. I used this tool, which is a 5/8 socket, but a special 5/8 just for spark plugs. You'll see that it says FOR SPARK PLUG USE ONLY on it:

To remove the middle bolts, I had to use an extension along with the 15mm socket:


Once all the bolts are removed, just find some openings on each end of the head and pull it off:

Be careful, they might be heavy. Mine are aluminum heads so they're not heavy at all, but cast iron heads are pretty heavy.

So here's where I'm at with the motor:

Next I'll talk about removing the harmonic balancer.